Healthy Organic Peanut Butter Cookies

Well, here's a welcomed change of pace — yes? Like I mentioned in a previous post, my plate has become larger because I am actually finding time to cook regular meals and even bake a few sweet treats. When Matt first left, I was so grateful to have a freezer full of cooked meals for Oliver that I had prepared in advance. I did not have to cook dinner for months! Seriously! And for myself? Well, how do you think I lost all this weight? I know it wasn't the smartest way, but I just was not hungry. I forced myself to eat, and I still do on many days, and much of what I ate was prepared at a local deli (healthy food usually). I'm the opposite of some people: when stressed, my appetite goes away. There are too many butterflies filling my stomach to leave room for food.

Anyway, check these out:

pb cookies on red plate

They are actually quite good, and dare I say healthy? They didn't look too appealing to Oliver tho, so I had to slather them in home made cream cheese frosting (not pictured), and even that didn't appeal to him much. After seeing me pop these into my mouth over and over, one day while having no other option for sweets, he decided to do the same and voila! He is now an avid fan.

So I'll share the recipe with you. I did use organic ingredients, and I opted to use Blue Agave nectar instead of honey, altho honey would have been acceptable too. I try to keep sugar away from Oliver as much as possible because he does things like run around the house backwards while talking non-scense and blinking uncontrollably. Of course I'm exaggerating a bit, but I have evidence to support my belief that sugar makes him act ker-ray-zee.

Back to the cookies. Here are the ingredients:

ingredients-2

agave syrup

(You can buy Agave Nectar at Whole Foods, Trader Joes or even TJ Max!)

organic whole wheat flour

And the yummy batter.... this actually tastes better than the cookie itself. Yum!

peanutbutter cookie dough

The result: (Can't you just smell the heavenly scent of peanuts? Take a sniff.... I bet you can almost taste them over the cyber space waves...mmm so good!)

pb cookies close up-2

The recipe....

Healthy Peanut Butter Cookies

INGREDIENTS
Dry Stuff 
  • 3/4 c whole wheat flour 
  • 3/4 c oats 
  • 1/2 tsp salt 
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda 
  • optional: 1 tsp cinnamon 
Moist Stuff
  • 1 c smooth natural peanut butter  
  • 1/2 c honey (I used Agave Nectar and a touch of honey) 
  • 1 egg 
  • 2 tsp vanilla 
  • optional: 1/3-1/2 c chocolate or carob chips
METHOD
  1. Combine dry ingredients
  2. Combine moist ingredients
  3. Mix dry and moist ingredients together 
  4. Cool in the fridge for 20 minutes  
  5. Drop teaspoons of batter on a parchment-lined cookie sheet or baking sheet for cookies.
  6. Flatten with a fork if you like or add chips to each bite sized cookie!
  7. Bake at 375 for 8-12 minutes — edges will be slightly browned. Be careful not to burn as honey browns fast


pb cookies close up

Recipe Credit

If you do happen to try these out let me know how they go. I found mine to bake very quickly, so next time I'll keep the timing down a bit. In addition, they were a bit dry. So I will add 1/4 cup more peanut butter as well.

Thanks!


Comments